Research Tools Bluetooth Connectivity
Table of Contents
Resetting your Bluetooth connection
Having trouble pairing with Muse? The specifics of this are different for every platform, but in general the first thing you should do is to start completely fresh:
- Factory-reset your Muse. From an off-state, hold the button down for at least 15 seconds until the LEDs begin to flash in an alternating back-and-forth pattern. Then release the button and press it again for about 3 seconds to turn the device off.
- Make sure to kill any instances of MuseIO that may be running on your computer. Having MuseIO running at the same time as your machine is attempting to pair will cause problems.
- Delete any previous pairings that may have been established between Muse and your computer.
- Turn Bluetooth off on your computer, wait ten seconds, and turn it back on.
- Attempt to pair.
- If this doesn’t work, make sure your Muse has the latest firmware. This can be done with the Muse application. Make sure your app is up-to-date before attempting a firmware update.
- The latest firmware – 7.8.0 – is available exclusively through the Muse iOS app: Open the app and tap Start Session. You should be automatically prompted to update your firmware if it is out-of-date.
If you are still having difficulty, you may want to try to use a USB Bluetooth dongle. Below is a list of recommended dongles that we have tested for compatibility with Windows 7 and Ubuntu. Macs do not typically require a dongle – almost all Bluetooth issues on Mac OSX can be solved by updating to the latest firmware.
Bluetooth Dongle Recommendations
Muse streams data to computers and mobile devices using Bluetooth 2.0+EDR. Depending on what sort of hardware and OS you’re using, you may run into some difficulties pairing and connecting. This is especially true on Windows, because of the large variation in third-party hardware.
Tested on Windows
- Kinivo BTD-400
- ASUS USB BT-400
- Insignia USB Bluetooth Adapter
- IOGEAR GBU421W6 (works with one Muse, but trouble with more than one at a time)
Tested on Ubuntu
- CSR8510 Bluetooth 4.0 USB Dongle